Start Submission Become a Reviewer

Reading: Evaluation of the Significance of Obtaining Two Histopathological Samples from the Same Kidn...

Download

A- A+
Alt. Display

Original Articles

Evaluation of the Significance of Obtaining Two Histopathological Samples from the Same Kidney at Autopsy Examination

Authors:

H. K. R. Sanjeewa ,

Base hospital Panadura, LK
About H. K. R.
Office of the Judicial Medical Officer
X close

M. Vidanapathirana,

University of Sri Jayewardenepura, LK
About M.
Department of Forensic Medicine, Faculty of Medical Sciences
X close

U. Attygalle,

Base hospital Panadura, LK
About U.
Office of the Judicial Medical Officer
X close

R. R. G. S. Amararatne,

General Hospital Kalutara, LK
About R. R. G. S.
Office of the Judicial Medical Officer
X close

D. P. P. Senasinghe

General Hospital Kegalle, LK
About D. P. P.
Office of the Judicial Medical Officer
X close

Abstract

Introduction: Histopathology examination is a common and recommended practice among all types of autopsy practitioners; there are few scientific outlooks guidelines or protocols about the number of samples that need to be obtained at autopsy for the histopathology examination. The aim of this study was to evaluate the value of taking multiple samples from the same kidney at autopsy examination.

 

Methodology: A cross-sectional descriptive prospective study was carried out among 108 post mortem reports and histopathology samples at the department of forensic medicine of Base Hospital Panadura and District General Hospital Kalutara and Kegalle. All autopsies with available microscopic samples of kidney irrespective of the cause of death were used for the study. The data collection process was carried out from November 2019 to February 2020 and the ethical clearance was obtained prior to the data collection.

 

Results: Data from the 108 post mortem reports were obtained. The studied sample consists of 69% (n=74) of males and 31% (n=34) females. With regard to the age distribution, the majority of 40% (n=43) cases belonged to the 51-70 age category. 69% (n=74) samples were collected from the left kidney while remaining 31% (n=34) from the right. Considering the macroscopic appearance of the kidney, cortical thickness reduction was noted among 34% (n=37) samples followed by granular contracted kidney of 31% (n=33). In the microscopic findings, the different numbers of pathologies were identified in both samples. However, the 1st sample had a higher frequency of histopathological findings than sample 2 and no significant difference in identification pathologies between 1st sample and 2nd samples were determined (p= 0.784>0.05.)

 

Conclusion: Taking two samples from same kidney during the autopsy does not suggest statistical difference. However, where the resources are available it is suggested that taking two samples is beneficial.
How to Cite: Sanjeewa, H.K.R., Vidanapathirana, M., Attygalle, U., Amararatne, R.R.G.S. and Senasinghe, D.P.P., 2020. Evaluation of the Significance of Obtaining Two Histopathological Samples from the Same Kidney at Autopsy Examination. Medico-Legal Journal of Sri Lanka, 8(1), pp.15–18. DOI: http://doi.org/10.4038/mljsl.v8i1.7404
Published on 30 Jun 2020.
Peer Reviewed

Downloads

  • PDF (EN)

    comments powered by Disqus