Start Submission Become a Reviewer

Reading: A Fatal Case of Accidental High-Voltage Electrocution

Download

A- A+
Alt. Display

Case Reports & Picture story

A Fatal Case of Accidental High-Voltage Electrocution

Authors:

Samadhi H. Dandeniya Arachchi ,

Teaching Hospital, Karapitiya, Galle, LK
About Samadhi H. Dandeniya
Office of the Judicial Medical Officer
X close

Rohan P. Ruwanpura

Teaching Hospital, Karapitiya, Galle, LK
About Rohan P.
Office of the Judicial Medical Officer
X close

Abstract

High voltage electrical injuries are relatively uncommon but exhibit a high rate of mortality. A body of a 39-yearold electrician who had died while working on high tension cables was brought for post-mortem examination. The autopsy revealed first and second-degree burns, exfoliated skin and crocodile flash burns around the neck. There was a penetrating skull fracture with exposed brain and surrounding charring. Microscopic examination revealed evidence of electrocution in the skin and myocardium. Cause of death was stated as multiple injuries following high voltage electrocution. Detailed history, scene visit and proper postmortem examination with histological and toxicological analysis are recommended prior to concluding the cause of death as electrocution.
How to Cite: Arachchi, S.H.D. and Ruwanpura, R.P., 2018. A Fatal Case of Accidental High-Voltage Electrocution. Medico-Legal Journal of Sri Lanka, 6(2), pp.78–83. DOI: http://doi.org/10.4038/mljsl.v6i2.7379
Published on 26 Dec 2018.
Peer Reviewed

Downloads

  • PDF (EN)

    comments powered by Disqus